Wise food choices are critical to the control of diabetes type 2, but making these choices can sometimes be time consuming or confusing. Cutting through that confusion will take some research and planning, which will ultimately make eating healthy a stress free task.
Becoming A Lean Mean Fighting Machine
Lean meats are preferable for the person struggling with diabetes type 2 and if you like red meat, this may be discouraging. Instead of never eating a steak again however, try to simply incorporate more lean meats into your diet. Here are some tips for doing just that:
- chicken is a good lean choice, just remove the skin
- turkey is another great lean meat and in its ground form can be substituted in many of your favorite dishes such as tacos, burgers, and even meat loaf. If you can’t take an all turkey dish… go 50% ground turkey and 50% lean ground beef
- buffalo… not seen in many major grocery store chains but can often be purchased at your health store. Buffalo is similar in taste to beef but much leaner.
Vegetables are a wonderful source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, especially in their raw form. Planning ahead can help you incorporate these tasty treats into your diet:
- salad… yes it’s rabbit food, but its also great for people. Keep a ready-made salad in your fridge at all times and serve on the side with every meal. Don’t like to make salads? Grab a salad in a bag at your supermarket.
- veggies on the go… on the weekends slice up some veggies and put them in zip lock bags to take with you to work or the kid’s ball game. All veggies are good but you might try carrot slices, celery sticks with a dab of peanut butter, or cucumber.
Everyone needs a snack every now and then so don’t give up snacks entirely, just choose them more wisely:
- reach for a bowl of cereal, use skim milk and sweeten with honey instead of sugar.
- instead of a candy bar try snacking on cashews and almonds.
- apple slices are great for snacking and can be combined with a non-fat cheese.
- try an avocado with some non-fat cottage cheese on the side. It is delicious!
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be dull and tasteless. Creativity and planning will not only take the boredom out of your meals but also eliminate the impulse eating that occurs when you have no plan. You can reverse type 2 diabetes by eating healthy foods, losing weight and keeping your blood sugar levels low.