Green Beans (Indian Spicy Style) is a vegetable dish prepared from green beans. I know that green beans do not taste that good, actually to me, green beans do not have any taste at all. But beans as a green vegetable are really healthy and nutritional. This dish can be prepared as filler item with other non-veg items or as a break from rich and spicy dishes. This is an “everyday” recipe. Now I have modified this green bean recipe a bit to make it slightly more spicy and enjoyable.
- 200gm Green beans (Trim the ends and then cut the beans in half crosswise)
- 1/2″ long and fresh ginger (Peel and chop finely)
- 2 cloves
- 3 pieces of Garlic peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
- 0.5 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Generous amount of Black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon of Lemon juice (or to taste)
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
How to prepare Green Beans (Indian Spicy Style)
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan for 2mins.
2. Put cloves and cumin seeds in the warm oil and heat for 30sec-1mins
3. Add the ginger-garlic combination. Stir and cook for about two minutes.
4. Mix the coriander powder with red chili powder in a very small quantity of water to make a thick paste and add to Step 3. Stir a few times.
5. Put in the finely chopped tomatoes. Stir and cook for 2 minutes while mashing the tomato pieces.
6. Put in the beans with salt and water and simmer them. Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the beans are tender.
7. Remove the cover. Add the lemon juice and a generous amount of black pepper powder.
Turn up the heat and boil away the remaining liquid as per required consistency (keep stirring or the beans will stick to the bottom of the frying pan). Indian Style Spicy Bean is now ready to be served with chappati or as a side dish with rice along with any other curry.
To view larger recipe photos, accompanying side dishes and discussions, visit Indian Green Beans on Best of Kanchan’s blog.