Diabetes is an increasing epidemic and around 54 million people in the United states are in the “Pre-Diabetes” category so its even more important to monitor our eating habits and design an eating plan that minimizes high blood sugar levels and prevents the onset of type 2 diabetes.
The basic idea behind the foods that pre-diabetic need to consume are whole foods, rich in nutrients grown or grazing on the land and not being created in laboratory’s by men in big white coats.
To decrease diabetes and the risk of heart attack and stroke a diet high in fiber and low glycemic carbohydrates is a must. Below is a list of foods to prevent diabetes and keep your blood sugar levels in check. These foods are suitable for the south beach diet as well.
Diabetes Foods List
– Lean Meats – this means protein sources from lean cuts of meat, fish or skinless chicken breasts as well as turkey. Turkey is a great option as it has one of the lowest levels of fat in any animal meat. Remember to stick to healthy cooking methods to avoid extra fat and oils.
– Vegetables – Enjoy your vegetables without the use of high sugar condiments; try some vinegar, garlic and herbs for added flavors.
– Eat low glycemic fruits such as berries, apples, and citrus fruits, and only buy canned fruit if it is in its natural juices.
– Eat whole grains slow digesting carbohydrates such as brown rice, bulgar, and wholegrain breads and pasta.
– Avoid saturated fats and Trans fats, look to get your healthy fats from your fish, nuts, avocado’s and extra virgin olive oil.
– Low fat dairy products such as low fat yoghurt have been shown to help increase weight loss and help satisfy your cravings for a dairy snack without sacrificing weight loss.