Think about this sausage strata in your subsequent brunch—however fast observe: it’s essential to refrigerate this in a single day earlier than baking. So combine it up the night time earlier than, after which have a relaxed morning whereas this cooks (and makes your home odor good!).
- cooking spray
- 1 pound hen or turkey sausage
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 ½ cups egg substitute
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- eight slices good-quality white bread, crusts eliminated and reduce into cubes
- 1 ½ cups Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (there is a hyperlink to the recipe within the instructions)
- Take away and discard sausage casings. Crumble the sausage and sauté in a non-stick skillet over medium warmth till evenly browned, stirring and breaking apart any giant clumps with a picket spoon. Utilizing a slotted spoon, switch the browned sausage to a plate coated in paper towels to completely drain.
- In a 1-quart measuring cup, whisk collectively the milk and egg substitute.
- Flippantly coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1/four cup of the shredded cheese in a self-sealing plastic bag. Refrigerate. (You are saving this to sprinkle on prime if you bake it.)
- Layer 1/three of the bread cubes on the underside of the casserole dish. Prime with half of the browned sausage and 1/four cup of the shredded cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of the milk-egg combination excessive.
- Repeat the layers (1/three of the bread, the remainder of the sausage, 1/four cup of shredded cheese).
- For the final layer, placed on the remainder of the bread after which pour over the remaining 1 half cups of the milk-egg combination.
- Cowl with the tomatillo salsa. (Discover ways to make roasted tomatillo salsa.)
- Cowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate in a single day.
- Once you’re able to bake this within the morning, preheat oven to 350°F, uncover the casserole, and sprinkle the highest with the reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake till the strata is effervescent and golden brown and a knife inserted within the middle comes out clear, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Take away from the oven and let relaxation for 10 minutes earlier than serving.
|Per serving:||199 energy (19% energy from fats), 20 g protein, four g complete fats (1.6 g saturated fats), 21 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 24 mg ldl cholesterol, 375 mg potassium, 689 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1/2 skim milk)|